Demolition Drive in Nalasopara Leaves Over 200 Families Homeless

Demolition Drive in Nalasopara Leaves Over 200 Families Homeless

NTT Desk     Jan 25, 2025 01:12 pm

The demolition of illegal buildings in Nalasopara East’s Agarwal Nagari continues under a High Court order, with the Mira-Bhayandar Municipal Corporation (MBMC) razing 10 buildings so far. The action, which began on Thursday, has rendered over 200 families homeless, forcing many to take shelter under makeshift tarpaulin roofs near the debris of their former homes.

The residents, many of whom are daily wage earners and beneficiaries of the government’s Ladli Behna Yojana, expressed outrage and sorrow over the drive. “We don’t want money from the Ladli Behna Yojana; we want our homes back,” said Neha Jaiswal, one of the displaced residents.

The civic body launched the demolition drive with heavy police security, evacuating residents from the buildings before using bulldozers to flatten them. Many families, including women, children, and the elderly, were left in tears, pleading with the authorities to stop the action. Police were deployed to manage protests, but residents complained of being ignored and mistreated.

“We bought our house 15 years ago with money saved from taxi earnings,” said Sarita Singh, whose house was demolished on Friday. “Now, my son’s education and our future are in jeopardy. The government and courts have been unjust to us.”

The displaced families alleged betrayal by political representatives, who had assured them before the elections that their homes would not be touched. “None of the politicians who gave us false promises are standing with us today,” said a tearful Sarita Singh. Many residents vowed never to vote again, citing false assurances as a reason for their current plight.

Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Surendra Singh Raj criticized the authorities for allowing the illegal buildings to come up in the first place. “Why didn’t officials act when these buildings were being constructed? Strict action must be taken against the builders and corrupt officials involved in this fraud,” he said, demanding that their assets be confiscated and used to compensate the displaced families.​

Reported By: NTT Desk     Place: Kolkata     Jan 25, 2025 01:12 pm




Place : Kolkata     Reported By : NTT Desk     25-01-2025 01:12:55 pm

The demolition of illegal buildings in Nalasopara East’s Agarwal Nagari continues under a High Court order, with the Mira-Bhayandar Municipal Corporation (MBMC) razing 10 buildings so far. The action, which began on Thursday, has rendered over 200 families homeless, forcing many to take shelter under makeshift tarpaulin roofs near the debris of their former homes.

The residents, many of whom are daily wage earners and beneficiaries of the government’s Ladli Behna Yojana, expressed outrage and sorrow over the drive. “We don’t want money from the Ladli Behna Yojana; we want our homes back,” said Neha Jaiswal, one of the displaced residents.

The civic body launched the demolition drive with heavy police security, evacuating residents from the buildings before using bulldozers to flatten them. Many families, including women, children, and the elderly, were left in tears, pleading with the authorities to stop the action. Police were deployed to manage protests, but residents complained of being ignored and mistreated.

“We bought our house 15 years ago with money saved from taxi earnings,” said Sarita Singh, whose house was demolished on Friday. “Now, my son’s education and our future are in jeopardy. The government and courts have been unjust to us.”

The displaced families alleged betrayal by political representatives, who had assured them before the elections that their homes would not be touched. “None of the politicians who gave us false promises are standing with us today,” said a tearful Sarita Singh. Many residents vowed never to vote again, citing false assurances as a reason for their current plight.

Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Surendra Singh Raj criticized the authorities for allowing the illegal buildings to come up in the first place. “Why didn’t officials act when these buildings were being constructed? Strict action must be taken against the builders and corrupt officials involved in this fraud,” he said, demanding that their assets be confiscated and used to compensate the displaced families.​

Top Posts

1.

Manipur Crisis: Opposition Criticises Centre's Handling as President's Rule Gets Lok Sabha Nod...

The Lok Sabha on Thursday adopted a Statutory Resolution confirming the imposition of President's Ru... Read more
2.

Lok Sabha Passes Waqf Amendment Bill 2025 After Marathon Debate Amidst Fierce Opposition...

The Lok Sabha on Thursday passed the contentious Waqf Amendment Bill 2025 after more than 10 hours o... Read more
3.

“Non Muslim In Council For Transparency…” Amit Shah Defends Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament,...

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Wednesday spoke in the Lok Sabha on the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025... Read more
4.

“A guise to cover up shortcomings…”: Akhilesh Yadav Slams BJP over Waqf Bill, Calls It a Cover...

Samajwadi Party Chief Akhliesh Yadav slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party over the contentious Waqf Bi... Read more
5.

Kiren Rijiju Introduces Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025 in Lok Sabha Amidst Opposition Uproar...

The Union Minority Affairs Minister, Kiren Rijiju, on Wednesday tabled the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 20... Read more

LATEST NEWS

1.

Manipur Crisis: Opposition Criticises Centre's Handling as President's Rule Gets Lok Sabha Nod...

The Lok Sabha on Thursday adopted a Statutory Resolution confirming the imposition of President's Ru... Read more
2.

Lok Sabha Passes Waqf Amendment Bill 2025 After Marathon Debate Amidst Fierce Opposition...

The Lok Sabha on Thursday passed the contentious Waqf Amendment Bill 2025 after more than 10 hours o... Read more
3.

“Non Muslim In Council For Transparency…” Amit Shah Defends Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament,...

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Wednesday spoke in the Lok Sabha on the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025... Read more
4.

“A guise to cover up shortcomings…”: Akhilesh Yadav Slams BJP over Waqf Bill, Calls It a Cover...

Samajwadi Party Chief Akhliesh Yadav slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party over the contentious Waqf Bi... Read more
5.

Kiren Rijiju Introduces Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025 in Lok Sabha Amidst Opposition Uproar...

The Union Minority Affairs Minister, Kiren Rijiju, on Wednesday tabled the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 20... Read more
6.

Aditya Thackeray calls Mahayuti "April Fool Govt', for imposing 'Adani Jaziya Kar'...

Shiv Sena (UBT) MLA Aditya Thackeray criticized the Mahayuti government, calling it the "April Fool ... Read more

Top Videos